Fire Extinguisher Safety tips
(NFPA Safety tips Click here for source)
- Use a portable fire extinguisher when the fire is confined to a small area, such as a wastebasket, and is not growing; everyone has exited the building; the fire department has been called or is being called; and the room is not filled with smoke.
- To operate a fire extinguisher, remember the word PASS:
- Pull the pin. Hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you, and release the locking mechanism.
- Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
- Sweep the nozzle from side-to-side.
- For the home, select a multi-purpose extinguisher (can be used on all types of home fires) that is large enough to put out a small fire, but not so heavy as to be difficult to handle.
- Choose a fire extinguisher that carries the label of an independent testing laboratory.
- Read the instructions that come with the fire extinguisher and become familiar with its parts and operation before a fire breaks out. Local fire departments or fire equipment distributors often offer hands-on fire extinguisher trainings.
- Install fire extinguishers close to an exit and keep your back to a clear exit when you use the device so you can make an easy escape if the fire cannot be controlled. If the room fills with smoke, leave immediately.
- Know when to go. Fire extinguishers are one element of a fire response plan, but the primary element is safe escape. Every household should have a home fire escape plan and working smoke alarms.
Official Amerex Distributor
The fire protection industry has seen sweeping advances take place over the past 50 years and most test standards have been revised to keep up with modern day fire hazards. While other companies have been in the fire protection industry longer than Amerex, no other company has surpassed the quality, service and innovation provided by Amerex Corporation in recent times. With quality products, constant innovation and excellent customer support, Amerex Corporationis unsurpassed in its pioneering efforts to provide better fire protection throughout the world.
Available Fire Extinguisher Services
- Fire Extinguisher Sales
- Fire Extinguisher Installation
- Fire Extinguisher Inspections
- Fire Extinguisher Refills & Recharges
- Fire Extinguisher Training & Demos
- Call 800-393-8287 for more details